Infertility/Fertility/Freezing embryos

Question
I'm 35 and my recent cycle produced
15 eggs, 10 fertilized
Was told this was excellent for my age
We transferred two top quality
They said the rest are varying quality
But only one good for freeZing
They said they only freeze the best
But I read women become pregnant with
Lower quality embryos
Is it worth it to freeze one?
Women post saying they've frozen 17
Is it possible to have 17 highest quality
Or does it depend on the clinic standards?
Do you know the average number of embryos freezed
Per cycle? Thanks!!!!

Answer
Hello Lee from the U.S. (New York),

Some clinics will freeze all embryos as the day#3 after retrieval stage.  I'm not sure why they freeze all, but that is probably their protocol.  Most clinics, now a days, will culture the embryos out to blastocyst stage (Day#5) and only freeze the ones that make it to blastocyst.  Now there are different grades of blastocyst, just like day#3 embryos, so when they say they are only freezing the "best" does that mean only grade 1 blastocysts?  If that were the case, that would be a shame because grade 2 blastocysts and early blastocysts do just as well.

Basically, when to freeze and at what stage depends on the clinic protocols.  There is NOT standard.  There is no "average number of embryos frozen per cycle" that I can give you.  If you look at the CDC/ART stat site, they may have that number for you.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG