Infertility/Fertility/Hoping for infertility

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for six years. We both know for a fact that we never want to have children.
My boyfriend is very tall, he is 6 foot 5 1/2. However, he may have a low fertility rate. I was wondering if given the right information if you could tell me the likelihood if he is in fertile. He has one undescended testicle and the other is very close to his body. Also, his voice never cracked during puberty. Right now, he is uncomfortable with the idea of a Vasectomy so I am going to get essure done in a few months,  but, due to possible pregnancy from any birth control option,  I would feel much better if we both had forms of protection. So, what is the likelihood that he may be infertile? He is going to get a sperm test done when he comes back from an extended leave,  but if it doesn't sound like anything Would be abnormal or worth the test that I would rather not waste the money.

Hello Courtney from the U.S.(Ohio),

Based on the information given there is no way to estimate your boyfriends fertility.  As semen analysis is one option to test it who I would recommend that you have the test done.  In the meantime, I would assume that he is fertile until proven otherwise.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco