Infertility/Fertility/B chorionic gonadotropin after IVF

Question
Hello from Greece

My wife had an IVF and three embryos were planted.14 days after the IVF the B chorionic gonadotropin was 7.The doctor told us that she should had another one and after two more days the B chorionic gonadotropin is 13.
What is your opinion?Is there any change that she is pregnant?I know that B chprionic gonadotropin is very low but it get doubled so what that may mean?
Thank you very much

Answer
Hello George from Greece,

Yes the level is low but it is positive and it has risen appropriately.  We say that it should double every other day, but it really only needs to go up 80%.  The treatment at this point would be to follow the bHCG at least three more times to confirm that it is rising appropriately.  This should be a blood test every other day.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG