Infertility/Fertility/One ovary

I just turned 38 and had recent bloodwork on day 3.
FSH 6.9
LH 6.3
AMH 0.88
However I have one ovary...It was removed 4 years ago.
Would the AMH possibly be in
a "good" range for one ovary at my age?

Hello Lo from California,

Unfortunately, the studies looking at AMH do not take the number of ovaries into consideration.  Certainly, based on what AMH is (produced by the antral follicles), a decreased number of antral follicles will lead to a decreased AMH level.  But what I cannot say is whether the level is "normal" for having only one ovary.  Keep in mind that AMH is only an indirect measure of egg availability but that DOESN'T mean that you can't get pregnant.  First of all, it only takes one egg AND, even in a stimulated cycle, you may still get the requisite number of eggs to produce competent embryos (at least 1).  The age problem is not so much an egg availability problem as it is an egg quality problem.  Basically, with increasing age, the number of good/viable eggs decreases significantly.  A study done two years ago showed that at the age of 37, only two of every 10 embryos formed were normal.  That is the quality problem and at 38 years old, the number is probably less.  But as I always tell my older patients, it only takes ONE GOOD EGG to get pregnant.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco