Infertility/Fertility/Progestron level's

I recently had blood work done on day 23 of my first cycle 50mg of clomind. My prolactin level's was 17.9 and my progesterone level was 17.4. I have a HX for two miscarriages; where i noticed from one of my previous lab testing my progesterone level had dropped to 7.4. In both miscarriages they were at the same time frame of 8 weeks.

what do everything mean and is there any option like progesterone treatment for my first trimester?

Hello Atoya from the U.S. (Texas),

The levels for both these tests are normal.  That is all that can be said.  Prolactin is a pituitary hormone.  Progesterone is the hormone your body produces after ovulation and the level of 17.4 means that you ovulated.  That is all that can be said.

In terms of progesterone use in infertility, we do use supplemental progesterone as vaginal suppositories to support the endometrium, assist implantation and maintain the pregnancy.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco