Infertility/Fertility/Dormant chlamydia... will I be infertile?

Hello Doctor,

I'm 28 yo female, trying to conceive for 3 months now.

I am a bit worried that I might be infertile, because I was diagnosed with Chlamydia 6 years ago and although I treated it, I realize I must have had it for around 2 years before having any symptoms.

Basically, I had no symptoms until one morning when I started having discharge, a swollen lymph node, etc. It stared quite suddenly. I treated it the month I started having symptoms, but the only time I could have contracted it was 1.5 - 2 years before having these symptoms.

I now occasionally have dull aches in my left side, around the ovary, which might mean a chronic inflammation. On pelvic examinations, sometimes the left side is tender when moved, other times there is no pain on palpation so I'm not sure, because it's not a consistent finding. I haven't had any other STI in the past 6 years, since the Chlamydia. Also I have never been diagnosed with PID and never had the PID symptoms like abdominal pain, fever, etc.

Pelvic and endovaginal ultrasounds show everything is in order and I also ovulate normally (I confirm ovulation using BBT).

Can a dormant Chlamydia with no symptoms cause significant damage to my fertility? What are my odds that my tubes are in fact blocked? Should I take the dye test for blocked tubes or wait and try to conceive for a year before addressing this worry?

Thank you!

Hello Christine from Romania,

The problem with Chlamydia is not the bacteria itself, but the result of the infection that it causes.  The most common resultant problem is damage of the Fallopian tubes.  This can be in the form of blocked tubes or partially blocked tubes.  There are no great and absolute ways to rule out tubal disease, especially if there is partial blockage or adhesions but an HSG would be the way to check to see if the tubes are blocked.  Even if only one is affected (blocked), I would assume the other one is affected as well since the bacteria usually goes down both sides, not just one.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco