hi doctor
thanks for ur answers so far...i want to ask 2 questions
1.if fsh mounts high during stimulation of follicles then what does it means and how it can effect the on going cycle s success
2.slow growth rate of follicles leads to late egg retreival...does it effects egg quality ....or the cycles s success

Hello Hina,

I'm sorry that you have not been successful yet but glad to see you are still trying.

1.  FSH levels are NOT useful or valid during a stimulation cycle because the medication used to stimulate the ovaries IS FSH.  So the number is artificial.  It will be high if you are giving FSH.

2.  taking longer for the follicles to grow is usually a sign that the ovarian reserve is decreased or that the stimulation is inadequate i.e. not enough medication.  It can take longer but is not detrimental(bad) for egg quality.  Sometimes the eggs do better if the growth is slower than too fast.  The length of time it takes for the follicle to grow does not impact the success or failure of a cycle.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco