Infertility/Fertility/fsh

Question
hi doctor
thanks for ur answers so far...i want to ask 2 questions
1.if fsh mounts high during stimulation of follicles then what does it means and how it can effect the on going cycle s success
2.slow growth rate of follicles leads to late egg retreival...does it effects egg quality ....or the cycles s success
thanku

Answer
Hello Hina,

I'm sorry that you have not been successful yet but glad to see you are still trying.

1.  FSH levels are NOT useful or valid during a stimulation cycle because the medication used to stimulate the ovaries IS FSH.  So the number is artificial.  It will be high if you are giving FSH.

2.  taking longer for the follicles to grow is usually a sign that the ovarian reserve is decreased or that the stimulation is inadequate i.e. not enough medication.  It can take longer but is not detrimental(bad) for egg quality.  Sometimes the eggs do better if the growth is slower than too fast.  The length of time it takes for the follicle to grow does not impact the success or failure of a cycle.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG