Infertility/Fertility/egg donation

Question
Hello!
I'm not sure if you can answer any questions in regards to egg donation, but we will see.
Due to my friend going through some fertility issues, I have looked into donating eggs and have applied with a few fertility centers in the area, all of which have rejected me. I am in perfect health, never smoked in my life, don't drink, never did drugs, had 2 successful births and a good family history. So I am baffled why I was rejected. The only thing I can think of (because it asked that question) is if I have lived in Europe for more than 5 years in the 80s. I was born and raised in Europe in the 80s and moved to the US in 2005. I know that because of this I have previously been rejected from donating blood. So I am wondering if I should just give up applying with fertility centers because they would all reject me being from Europe or could it be a different reason?
Thanks

Answer
Hello Manuela from the U.S. (Virginia),

The guidelines for egg donation is produced by the FDA.  They have the recommendations for donors of all tissues.  If you are trying to be an anonymous donor for a center or clinic then you will have to meet these requirements.  There is a checklist.  However, if you are going to be a "directed" donor, that is specifically for someone, your friend (the recipient) can agree to disregard the FDA requirements.  In other words, they can consent to accept you as a donor despite the fact that you might not meet all of the FDA criteria.  If you can't find a clinic that will do that for you and your friend, then you need to keep looking.  If worst comes to worst, you can always come to my clinic and I will allow it!

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG