Infertility/Fertility/Survival

Question
QUESTION: Hello if I have  ewcm  for  about two days does that mean my fertility window is two days instead of five?
Example:
Let's say I ovulated on the 30th of March
If I had intercourse on March 25th what are my chances of conceiving vs having intercourse 28th?
What is the average sperm survival rate?

ANSWER: Hi Lisa from the U.S. (Arizona),

EWCM is the change that the cervical mucous goes through as the estrogen rises until ovulation.  So, it doesn't really predict your fertile window exactly but does show you when you should be having intercourse.  Exactly when ovulation occurs is not predictable.  EWCM is also necessary for the sperm to enter and swim up to the fallopian tube where it has to meet the egg.  As long as it gets there before ovulation, fertilization can still occur.  So in essence, your fertile window may still be greater than 2 days, but you need to have intercourse on the two days that the cervical mucous is ideal for the sperm.

If you had intercourse five days before ovulation occurred, it is unlikely that pregnancy would occur.  Sperm does not last that long.

In terms of your third question, I know what you are asking but it is not an answerable question in terms of natural sperm survival i.e. within the Fallopian tube.  That is not known.  Outside it a lab, under ideal culture, temperature and air quality situations, the sperm can last for two days.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

QUESTION: Thank you for replying!
One more question, if sperm can't live as long as five days in a women, why is the fertility window usually five days before ovulation is probable to occur?

Answer
Hello Again,

It's because the exact time of ovulation is unknown and as a consequence, it is best to cover the entire time that ovulation might occur.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG