Infertility/Fertility/Cervical fluid

Question
QUESTION: Hello I had an abundant of the super stretchy cervical fluid for one day in the mid of my cycle, I haven't had that I since I was a teen! I conceived that cycle! Is the lack of the fluid the reason why I wasn't conceiving the past year? And what is that cervical fluid? Is that mean I ovulated that day?

ANSWER: Hello Denise from the U.S. (New Mexico),

As the ovary is stimulated and a follicle grows to mature an egg for ovulation, increasing amounts of estrogen hormone are produced.  This has affects on many of the reproductive structures, including the cervical mucous.  This change is required for the sperm to be able to swim up into the tubes for fertilization.  If the mucous doesn't change, because estrogen is being blocked or not made, then it stays thickened and the sperm are blocked.  This is one method for people to use to time intercourse to get pregnant.  It does not mean that you ovulated that day but means that ovulation occurred within 24-52 hrs.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply! I had two ultrasounds one at the er that said
7w1d (+/-2days) and another one exactly a week later that read
8w0d
The 8w0d measured exactly to the date of the ewcm
And the 7w1d measured to the day before I saw it, do you usually get the most abudant amount the day of ovulation . Or could it be that my ultrasounds were way off then?

Answer

I'm not sure what you are asking or getting at.  The ultrasound dating is so close that it is within the margin of error.  These are not exact.  There is no way to determine when ovulation occurred based on the ultrasound dating.  The dating is an estimate of gestational age based on a compilation of measurements that were gathered and felt to represent the majority of pregnancies with specific measurements.  There are several different graphs that are used for this and there is variance between them.  For that reason, no dating method is exact.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG