Infertility/Fertility/Low progesterone on letrozole and pregnant!

I have been on and off medication for over a year.  (Clomid and letrozole)I had a miscarriage about a year ago. I just completed my last round of letrozole and my progesterone level a week after ovulation was a 9. So I spoke with my doctor and we were not at all happy with the number so I was referred to a specialist. Then a couple days later I took a pregnancy test on the day my period was due and it was the faintest line!!  This is what happened a year ago too and I miscarried at 5 1/2 weeks.  So my question is, if this happens to be a viable pregnancy does the low progesterone signal that something could be wrong with the baby?

Hi Beth from the U.S. (Missouri),

No.  The progesterone taken in the luteal phase is only an indication of ovulation.  If you had a progesterone done now and it was low, that would not be a good sign because it could indicate a non-viable pregnancy or that there was not adequate progesterone secretion to support the pregnancy before the placenta develops.  It is not an indicator of fetal development if the pregnancy continues if that is what you are asking.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco