Infertility/Fertility/cervical bleeding

Question
I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago when I was 16. I do not ovulate.

I have taken provera in the past in an attempt to regulate my periods, but as of right now it has been 2 years since I last had a period.

during intercourse I have bleeding. it is on the tip of the penis which indicates cervical bleeding.

I went to the doctor about this and she said I wasn't using enough lube.

I don't have insurance anymore. No amount of lube stops the bleeding. Sometimes there is pain and discomfort.

Other women in my facebook PCOS groups tell me that cervical bleeding is caused by hormonal imbalances.

Since I was 16 I hear a lot about my hormonal imbalances, my metabolic disorders, my acanthosis nigricans.

But I cannot afford specialists, therefore I rely on my own personal research to help me medicate myself.

My question is, how do I fix cervical bleeding if it is caused by hormonal imbalances?

I have insulin resistance, if it means anything.

Answer
Hello Kayla from the U.S.(Alabama),

You have a dilemma because for proper treatment you need to be under the supervision of a specialist in Gynecology.  PCOS is, by definition, an ovarian dysfunction.  Since the ovaries produce the female hormones estrogen and progesterone and is not working properly, it leads to a hormonal imbalance whereby the male hormone, testosterone, becomes dominant.  This leads to long term side effects such as facial hair, obesity, male pattern baldness, heart disease, diabetes, etc.  One of the possible contributors to this disorder is insulin resistance.  In that case, giving metformin at 1500 mg per day and sometimes, that will reverse the ovarian dysfunction and cause normal function.  The bottom line treatment, however, is to put the ovaries at rest with the birth control, which then gives you a dominance of estrogen and progesterone.  Provera is not a long term treatment.

One of the problems with PCOS, and not having regular periods, is that the endometrial lining could over develop, which is called endometrial hyperplasia, and can lead to abnormal bleeding.  In addition, this condition can lead to endometrial cancer.  So, you need to be evaluated for this abnormal bleeding.  Just calling it "cervical bleeding" is not enough.  Cervical bleeding is also not normal and the most common cause is cervical cancer, so I would not leave it at that.  

Unfortunately, there is no home remedy or self treatment that can take care of this other than die and reducing your weight to normal if you are overweight.  I have written extensively about this on my blog if you want more information regarding PCOD.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG