I am 26, and suffered of anorexia/bulimia for 5 years and my periods stopped 4 years ago. I recovered one year and a half ago, my weight is now healthy (BMI 20). My sexual life has been really...non existent the past few years due to my eating disorders (I had other things in mind, so to say), but had a flirt with a guy in march this year and my periods came back suddenly one week after. I had them every 10-15 days it was really scary, and they stopped suddenly once again at the end of april. A few days later I developed a severe dry eye syndrome, which makes me really miserable since then, I can barely function due to the severity of this disease.

I went to the gyn to check my hormones, because I'm sure the dry eye issue is related to them. My blood test results were out of wrack apparently, and the gyn told me she had never seen such a thing. To sum up, my estradiol levels are way too low (< 5 pg/ml), progesterone is too low, AMH low, FSH and LH normal, prolactin normal, and testosterone normal too. The gyn just can't figure what's going on because it's not the classical PCOS or ovarian failure type. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in september, but would like to know your opinion on this?

I have tons of horrible symptoms beside the dry eye problem (which is my main focus): night sweats, abnormal hair growth on chin and upper lip (I'm a brunette, but it is WAAAAY worse than before), mood swings, dry skin and hair, acne on face, eyebrow dandruff, scalp cysts, hair thinning (horribly), cracking cuticles, fatigue, bloating...

Hello Clemence from France,

Based on your description I would presume that you have PCOD.  With PCOD, the FSH and LH levels are within normal limits but the LH is usually at least 2X higher than the FSH.  Since you haven't given me the exact numbers, I cannot give you any specific diagnosis at this time.  The endocrinologist is definitely the next step.  

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco