Infertility/Fertility/Ovulation

Question
I have been trying to track my ovulation using both an ovulation tracker and by checking my Cervical Mucus. I had what I believe was egg white cervical mucus (clear and stretched between my fingers, although it was a very small amount and only in the evening) two days ago but my ovulation test showed no surge. The very next day my cervical mucus was back to a lotion white color/texture and again no LH surge. Is it possible that I ovulated the one day that I had egg white cervical mucus and the test still showed negative or is it possible that I have still not ovulated even though my cervical mucus went from egg white to lotion texture? If i did ovulate 2 days ago, is it still possible for me to try and get pregnant this month or is it too late?

Answer
Hello Jessica from the U.S. (Ohio),

My guess is that you probably did not ovulate, but without concrete evidence I cannot be absolutely sure.  Ovulatory cervical mucous is clear and very stretchy (like uncooked egg white), and due to the increase in estrogen that occurs as the ovulatory follicle is growing and reaching ovulatory size.  It lasts for 4-5 days, which make timing a little difficult using this method by itself.  In general, if you are timing intercourse based on whatever method that you use, you should start having intercourse at least starting the day after the first sign of impending ovulation.  None of the methods tells you exactly when you are ovulating; only that it will occur in the next 24-52 hours.  For that reason you start intercourse and 24 hrs and continue for 4-5 days.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG