Infertility/Fertility/doubts regarding using estradiol valerate tablet

Question
Dear Dr,
I am 28yrs old woman from India.
I am on infertility treatment since one year. My doctor gave me Estradiol Valerate 2mg to take for 10 days. when I googled about the medicine, I came to know that this medicine should be avoided if a woman is pregnant or planning to become pregnant.My Doctor is planning for an IUI in this cycle.This information makes me confused whether to take this medicine or not.
I request you to please help me with this problem as early as possible as my Doctor advised me to take this medicine from tomorrow(25-10-15)

Thanking you,

Answer
Hello Libin from India,

You need to find a qualified specialist in infertility if you want infertility treatment.  Your doctor obviously does not know what to do.  Estradiol is ESTROGEN and female hormone and does NOTHING to help with infertility except to build the uterine lining in patients that do not have an adquate lining.  Basically an infertility doctor will do testing to try to find the cause for your infertility and then prescribe an appropriate treatment for the problem.  Estradiol is not a fertility medication!  It can be used in pregnancy and is often used for women that don't produce adequate estrogen, but then it is no longer required once the placenta takes over and should be stopped.

My conclusion: YOUR DOCTOR DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS DOING SO FIND A GOOD DOCTOR!

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG