Infertility/Fertility/how do u know if you ovulate on clomid

Question
my doctor is going to put me on clomid and im wondering how do i know if i ovulate on clomid i dont have a fertility doctor and dont have the insurance to get a fertilty doctor how do i know if i ovulate or not im currious do i take a ovulation test

Answer
Hello Lindsey from the U.S.(New York),

There are several methods that can be used:

1.  Ovulation predictor kit - hit or miss.
2.  Cervical mucus test - hit or miss.
3.  Ultrasound surveillance.
4.  Mid-luteal progesterone - only verifies if you ovulated in that cycle since it is after the fact.

My recommendation is to make sure your doctor is knowledgeable in infertility treatment and the use of Clomid.  Otherwise, you may be wasting a lot of time and money.  Ovulation on Clomid is not automatic.  It is very much dose dependent and the doctor needs to follow each cycle to verify that the dose being given is the appropriate dose to induce ovulation.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG