Infertility/Fertility/how do u know if you ovulate on clomid

my doctor is going to put me on clomid and im wondering how do i know if i ovulate on clomid i dont have a fertility doctor and dont have the insurance to get a fertilty doctor how do i know if i ovulate or not im currious do i take a ovulation test

Hello Lindsey from the U.S.(New York),

There are several methods that can be used:

1.  Ovulation predictor kit - hit or miss.
2.  Cervical mucus test - hit or miss.
3.  Ultrasound surveillance.
4.  Mid-luteal progesterone - only verifies if you ovulated in that cycle since it is after the fact.

My recommendation is to make sure your doctor is knowledgeable in infertility treatment and the use of Clomid.  Otherwise, you may be wasting a lot of time and money.  Ovulation on Clomid is not automatic.  It is very much dose dependent and the doctor needs to follow each cycle to verify that the dose being given is the appropriate dose to induce ovulation.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco