Infertility/Fertility/Chemical pregnancy

Question
Hello Doctor! Greetings from Philadelphia.
I recently suffered a chemical pregnancy miscarriage at 4w4days. I have a 14 month old son so I know I can carry a baby full term. But this miscarriage has really thrown me for a loop, since conceiving and the pregnancy of my first baby was very easy.

Regarding chemical pregnancies, I have a few questions:
1) My doctor took by HCG levels the day I started bleeding (28) and then a week later it was 2. Bleeding mostly stopped, just slight spotting. Is 2 close enough to 0 to say that my hormone levels returned to normal and I'll ovulate?

2) Is there any risk to trying to conceive again when I ovulate? If it didn't take a HPT early, I probably would have never know I was even pregnant.

3) Should I be worried that something is wrong with me? I know that sounds crazy, but my first baby was so easy that I can't help but think it's me. Should I be concerned about getting pregnant again?

Your input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answer
Hello Rachel from the U.S. (Pennsylvania),

Well, first I want to reassure you that you shouldn't be worrying so much about this miscarriage.  Miscarriages are very common and some studies have shown a loss rate of almost 50% of pregnancies.  Most are very early miscarriages, like yours, and the person never realizes that they were pregnant.  Miscarriages usually occur because there was something wrong with that particular and specific pregnancy.  It is the body's form of quality assurance.  So in answer to your questions:
1.  Yes, 2 is close enough to 0 and you can certainly try to get pregnant again.  In most cases it can take 4-6 weeks for the ovaries to re-set and ovulation but it is not unusual for a woman to immediately become pregnant without having a period in between.
2.  There is no risks.  Studies have shown that a woman's chances of pregnancy are actually increased in the 6 months following a miscarriage.
3.  No.  There is nothing that you should be worried or concerned about at this time.  Don't stress yourself out.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG