Infertility/Fertility/Need some hope- Diminished ovarian reserve

Hi Dr., I want to thank you in advance for your time. I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with DOR last month. My day 3 numbers were as follows: AMH: .85, FSH: 3.9, Estradiol: 76. I had an HSG and everything looks normal. Husband also had a sperm analysis and everything is good with him. My RE seemed unwilling to help me as he said I only have about a 10% chance of conceiving, even with IVF. He told advised me to take DHEA and CoQ10 and told me to just have faith that it will work. I am devastated as I have never had a child before. Is there any hope for me or was my RE correct?

Hello Gabriela from the U.S.(California),

Your FSH, which is also an indirect measure of ovarian capacity(reserve) is great.  There is controversy whether or not the AMH is a direct correlation of egg availability, and I think your doctor is putting way too much value in it.  I would urge you to go to my blog, listed below, and read the section on ovarian reserve and what it means.  In your case, it does not mean very much.  ALL measures of ovarian reserve/capacity are only to get an indication of how well a patient might respond to ovarian stimulation if doing IVF.  It says NOTHING about egg quality or ovulation.  Considering how young you are, most of your eggs will be good quality, even if you only have one egg.

My recommendation is to disregard what your doctor said if in fact he advised that nothing can be done and your chances of pregnancy are only 10%.  That is absolutely WRONG.  I would then advise that you seek out another doctor.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco