You are here:

Infertility/Fertility/Sonohysterogram vs Hysterosalpingogram


Hello, I am debating whether or not I should get the Sonohysterogram (FemVue) to check to see if my Fallopian tubes are open. Someone else told me that I should get the HSG instead because it check for blocked tubes. The Sonohysterogram uses air and saline so wouldn't I know if my tubes are blocked with that procedure if the saline passes through the tubes?

Hello Victoria,
Either test can check for the tubes. The HSG is the definitive test but the SHG can be done in the office. If the SHG is abnormal or equivocal, you'll then have to do the HSG. So, my preference is the HSG.

Good luck,

Edward J. Ramirez,  M.D.,FACOG  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG


I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.


I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, California Medical Association, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco

©2017 All rights reserved.