Infertility/Fertility/Clomid and endometriosis and cysts.

Can I take clomid even though I have endometriosis and previously had cysts?

About a year and a half ago I started experiencing cysts so I stopped taking bc pills which got rid of them. Now me and my husband are trying to get pregnant and we recently found out that I had endometriosis. The surgeon found it only on my left side and he said it wasn't very much and burned what he could see off. How bad does this sound and what are my chances of being able to have a baby with clomid?

Hello Brittany from the U.S. (Arkansas),

Endometriosis is usually given a "stage" from 1-4.  Stage 1 is minimal, Stage 2 is mild, Stage 3 is moderate and Stage 4 is severe.  There is a scoring method that is used to determine the stage.  Stage 1 and 2 have not been clearly associated with infertility, although I believe that they can impair pregnancy, based on my years of experience.  These are treated by fulguration (burning) or excising the lesion.  Stage 3 and 4 have been clearly associated with infertility.  Some can be treated by removing surgically followed by 3-6 months of medication, but ultimately, most of these will need to go to IVF.  So, since your endometriosis "wasn't very bad", my assumption is that it was stage 1 or 2 so you should have a good chance of getting pregnant, but you should know that the window of opportunity is only about 6 months from the surgery, because after that, the endometriosis can return and could impair pregnancy.

Clomid is just a drug used to enhance ovulation in women that ovulate, so that they can produce more than one egg per month and thereby increase their chances of pregnancy per month; or to get the ovary to ovulate if the woman is not ovulating.  This is only the 1st two steps in the reproductive process so that other 8 steps have to occur on its own (naturally).

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco