Infertility/Fertility/Abnormal Pap Before IVF

Hello, I recently went for my yearly GYN appointment and was called today with the news that my Pap smear came back abnormal.  I have never had an abnormal pap before.  However, I am in the process of my Frozen embryo transfer via IVF on September 3.  My retest for my pap is September 1 and was told by the nurse that even if I had to have a colposcopy it will not affect my transfer.  What are your thoughts?  

Thank you!

Hello Holly from the U.S.(North Carolina),

There are various ranges of abnormal pap smears, and you probably have a mild abnormality.  Otherwise, your doctor would have had you come in right away for further evaluation.  So, probably not cancer or precancer which would be the only two findings that would prevent you for proceeding with your FET.  I therefore see no reason with this limited information (no actual result) for you to delay or postpone your FET.  If you're still unsure, call your doctor and ask them for the actual pap smear result.  Then post the result to me and I can explain things further.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco