Infertility/Fertility/iui with a bacteria vaginal infection

Question
Hi, I am scheduled for my,scan to have my iui in a couple days.Because of auto immune disease and other medical issues I can get sick or infections easy. It seems I may have a bv right after having pancentitis and my cycle. Will it affect the iui? It is really hard to get the appointments here. One month you can the next you cant.

Answer
Hello Ravin from the U.S.(Virginia),

Having BV at the time of the IUI should not affect the outcome because the catheter is inserted directly in the cervix and uterus and does not touch the vagina.  But to be on the safe side, I would recommend that you get testing and if positive, treated before the IUI.  Any primary care clinic can test for BV.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG