Infertility/Fertility/Why did OB order Quanitative blood hcg?

I saw a new Gynecologist yesterday and she ran a urine pregnancy test on me but did not tell me the results. She advised me to stop taking the progesterone pills I take to start my menstrual and said I needed to get a hormone blood work up done. In the work up she wanted me to get a Quantitative HCG done. Why did she want the Quantitative hcg done?? also she said I needed the blood done within 48 hours and wants me to come back in on the 14th for an ultrasound. Could my test have showed pregnant?
Also I am from the United states

Hello Rhonda from the U.S.

This is a question you need to ask your doctor.  There is no way for me to know what she is thinking.  The only reason I can GUESS is that your urine pregnancy test was positive and she wants to see how far along you are or thinks you might be pregnant and does not trust the urine pregnancy test so wants to make sure.  Based on the fact that she ordered an ultrasound, my GUESS would be that you are pregnant.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco