Infertility/Fertility/very long cycles..

Hello, I'm Breana (from Illinois) and well Id like to start off by saying I had surgery in 2014 for a ovarian cyst (26 centimeters!) so I ended up losing my right ovary and Fallopian tube.. So my periods are of course irregular they always bounce around but last cycle was 63 days and I had high hopes of being pregnant that time around, I've been trying to concieve since September (2015) but period showed up, now I'm back in the same boat this cycle around.. going on 61 days, these are my longest cycles. should I be worried over this? Should I see my feminine doctor. I mean what are the chances of pregnancy here sex is almost every other day..  But negative test.. What could be going on? Is there still the chance of me being pregnant? My highest cycles before would reach up to about 40+ days. But as I've said these 60+ cycles are my longest ones yet, and I get my hopes up everytime.. Before my obgyn said to wait 3 months to see her if I missed a period but that was before I started to try to have a baby. She's said before I should be able to still have babies. I guess I'm just abit lost as to what could be happening with my body when it comes to these long cycles.. or what I should do. thank you for your help and taking the time to read this. -Breana

Hello Breana from the U.S. (Illinois),

What you are experiencing with irregular and unpredictable menstrual cycles is NOT normal and will most likely prevent you from getting pregnant.  It is an indication that you are NOT having normal ovulatory cycles.  If a woman ovulates then her cycles will be regular and usually 25-33 days.  That's because, if you don't get pregnant, thee period will start 14 days after ovulation  has occurred.  So, you are having and "ovarian dysfunction" that needs to be corrected in order to get pregnant.

This is the purpose of "fertility" drugs.  They don't enhance fertility, rather, they correct the ovarian function to induce ovulation.  So the treatment is called ovulation induction.  However, you need to have an evaluation before you start this treatment to make sure that the problem is an ovarian problem and not an adrenal, hypothalamic or pituitary problem.  If these are ruled out, then the conclusion is an ovarian problem.

I would recommend that you see a fertility specialist for this if you are trying to get pregnant.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco