Infertility/Fertility/do u need a period to start gonal - f injections

hi im writing from las vegas , nevada
my doctor said hes going to start me on gonal - f injections so that i can ovulate and so that i can possibly get pregnant with my sperm donor because im doing artificial insemination with vials of sperm provided by my donor or we  may do sex if AI dont work do i need to have a period with gonal - f to take it know gonal - f alone wont help me get pregnant i know how to get pregnant

Hello Alexa from the U.S. (Las Vegas),

This is a question best posed to your doctor.  Doctor's use different protocols and it depends, not only on the protocol, but whether other medications have been used to precede the cycle.  In general, the injectables start on the 2nd day of the cycle (2nd day of the period) so, yes, you would need to start your period first.  If your doctor is educated in the use of these meds, he/she should know how to use them and instruct you on how to use them.  Keep in mind that doing IUI with injectables is a more expensive treatment method.  I only use them if the patient has failed with Clomid or Femara, both of which are pills and cost much less!

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco