Infertility/Fertility/can u get pregnant on norethisdrone and clomid together

Question
my obgyn recently put me on norethisdrone to induce my period so i can go on clomid 50 mgs can i still get pregnant while taking both these meds together ive heard some women get pregnant on these 2 pills together i hope this is your speciality thanx

Answer
Hello Lindsey from the U.S. (New York),

How funny, I just answered another question from a Lindsey in NY.  Are you the same person?

Norethidrone is a birth control pill and you will NOT be able to get pregnant on it.  However, your doctor is using this properly to induce a period but it is NOT used in combination with fertility treatments (or at least, should not be).  Once the period starts then Clomid (50-250mg) is used to induce the ovaries to ovulate (give off an egg).  This has to be taken starting within the first 5 days of the period.  It is either taken cycle day #3-7, 4-8 or 5-9, with cycle day#1 being the first day of your period.  You need to be under the direction of a doctor who knows how to evaluate and treat infertility, and use the medication is a correct protocol.  Clomid is NOT used as just a prescription that you take for several months on your own.  Monitoring must be done to evaluate your response to that specific dose and to make sure that you are not over-responding.  I would recommend that you see my blog for more detailed information on the Clomid ovulation induction protocol that I recommend.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG