Infertility/Fertility/Irregular Periods

Hello Dr. Ramirez,

I am a 28-year old woman. I have had generally irregular periods most of my life because of PCO: either I have consistent brownish discharge or consistent (mild) blood flow. Hence I have to wear panti-liners at all times on all 30 days of any given month.
I last had my period for 2 days (17th and 18th February). I will be travelling on vacation with my husband for the next month (all of March) and wish to not have any discharge then: either get a proper period now, or delay it. I have Primolut N (10 tablets) and Duoluton L with me. Also, I am a patient of Epilepsy.
Request your advice.

Hello Sonia from the UK,

With PCOD you have an ovarian dysfunction and so you do not cycle regularly.  The bleeding you have is dysfunctional uterine bleeding, not a period.  So to correct this, you need to over-ride the ovarian dysfunction and the birth control pill is best for this in patients not wanting to get pregnant.  I believe Duoluton L is a birth control pill so I would recommend that you use it.  It will put the ovary at rest and therefore stop the bleeding.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco