Dear doctor,I've been reading ur answers to some questions and I feel so impressed,pls I would like u to help clear my confusion.
My period was on feb 4,2016 and on feb 17,I had 4 follicles on my left ovary measuring 36mm,24mm,24mm,23mm. I triggered on that same day with pregnyl 10000IU and had IUI on feb 18(26 hours later) and feb 19(45 hours later).
It's been 6days after the hcg trigger shot and I've not experienced any temp rise which I normally experience 2days post ovulation in other cycles.
Am so confused. Could it be that I didn't ovulate? Or is the hcg shots affecting my temperature?
Pls doctor,help me out with ur experienced answers. Thanks a lot.

Hello Nneka from the UK,

Your second answer is correct.  You cannot use the BBT to determine ovulation after the fact.  That is, the BBT is used to precede ovulation, not after and the HCG injection will automatically alter that so that the BBT is no longer valid or reliable.

The only way to have determined if ovulation occurred at this point would have been to follow with the ultrasound to see if the follicles disappeared (I usually do an ultrasound after each IUI to see if the follicles are there or not.  This tells me if my timing was correct and how many follicles ovulated) or to do a mid luteal phase progesterone level.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco