Infertility/Fertility/Asthenoteratozoospermia

Question
Semen Analysis Report
Semen Analysis Report  
QUESTION: Hi. We are trying to have a child. My husbands latest semen analysis report attached. Is it possible to cocieve in this situation considering I am fit for conceiving. Is there any dietary/lifestyle changes that can be done to cure this. He is teetotaller and vegetarian. We don't have the option of going for an IVF because of the cost involved.

ANSWER: Hello M.A. from India,

As you know, given that you wrote the diagnosis, the semen analysis is abnormal: the motility is severely low and the morphology(anatomy) is abnormal.  There is not dietary means to make this better but there are some vitamin supplements, specifically formulated for sperm health that he could try.  These can be purchased on-line without a prescription and would need to be taken for a minimum of 3 months to see if they will work.  So after three months of taking the supplement, he should repeat his analysis.  Other than that, there is nothing more that can be offered in terms of diet, supplements or medications.  Reviewing the internet, you might run across the use of Clomid in males but this will not work in your husband because Clomid is used to increase sperm production, not increase motility or anatomy. Your husband's count is normal.  A decreased "motility" means that most of the sperm is dead and a decreased "morphology" means that most of the sperm formed is abnormal.  So, something in his system is forming sperm abnormally and most of the sperm are dead.  These abnormal parameters usually indicate that these sperm have a "functional" abnormality as well, meaning that they are not able to fertilize an egg.  We know this from experience with IVF where we are able to put the sperm and egg together, and we find that there is fertilization failure.  For this reason, the only realistic option you have is to use IVF with ICSI.  I wish I could advise something more.

You certainly could see a Urological Infertility specialist and more extensive testing could be done, but you would be spending money that would only confirm that you need ICSI with IVF.  You also could try IUI but it is unlikely to be successful.  However, I cannot predict the future and do believe that miracles can happen so maybe you will get lucky and have a spontaneous pregnancy with time.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at ejrmd@montereybayivf.com if you are interested in continuous access to me.

QUESTION: Thank you doctor for the clear and detailed response. Is it possible for you to please suggest vitamin supplements my husband can try?
Regards.

Answer
Hello Again,

You'll have to look it up on the internet but there are a lot of different brands available.  The two brands that I know of are Proxeed and Fertility Blend.  They can be ordered on-line.  Remember that your husband needs to use them for a minimum of 3 months before re-testing.  If the repeat test shows no improvement, continuing the supplement will not work.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
info@montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG