Infertility/Fertility/Missed Periods

I'm a 22 year old female. The past few months I haven't had my period, I want to say it's been 4 months now. I experience mild cramping occasionally but no other symptoms. I've been tested a few times recently and am not pregnant, but am sexually active...Married, and both my husband and I were tested for STDs about a year ago and are clean. I was on Celexa and Klonazepam for about a year and quit taking both 6 months ago because it was causing me to gain weight like crazy. My husband says the missed periods are probably just from quitting the Celexa and that I shouldn't worry, but in the past my period has been very regular, even when I was seriously stressed out it still came, just sometimes a couple weeks late. I've never missed for this long. I have no children, but did have a 12 week miscarriage 3 years ago. I've also had my thyroid tested a couple times (when I was put on my anxiety medications) and there were no issues. I have had more heartburn than normal lately, but other than that and the mild cramping I'm not experiencing any other odd symptoms. Is this something I should be worried about? What could be the cause of my missed periods and when should I schedule an appointment with a gynecologist? I'm not sure if I'm worried about nothing and should wait a bit longer and see if it comes, or go to the doctor soon. Thank you!

Hello Jessica from the U.S.(Iowa),

There is certainly something that is not working correctly that is resulting in the lack of a period.  I would recommend that you see a qualified gynecologist for further evaluation to determine where the problem is.  The treatment will then be dictated by the cause.  If your gynecologist does not testing and simply gives you a prescription for a medication to start a period, then you are seeing the wrong gynecologist.  The problem could lie in the hypothalamus, pituitary or ovary.  The treatment depends on the site.

Not having a period most likely means that you are not ovulating as well and therefore, would have difficulty getting pregnant.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco