Infertility/Fertility/Wanting to get pregnant at 46

Martin Thomas wrote at 2016-05-02 10:53:50
At 40, your chance of conceiving is about 20 per cent (based on the average annual rate of pregnancy per cycle), falling to less than five per cent by the mid-40s .

After 45, you're far less likely to fall pregnant naturally. As early as 15 years before you go through menopause, the number of your eggs begins to decline.

Your reduced fertility is not just about the number of eggs you have, though. It's also about their quality. By your 40s, the eggs that your ovaries release each month are more likely to have structural problems (chromosomal abnormalities).

Chromosomal abnormalities in your eggs can raise the risk of miscarriage and birth defects. This is why both these complications are more common in older women.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG