Infertility/Fertility/Premature menopause

Hello, I'm a 25 year old female. I have successfully conceived a child in 2009. In 2014 I was diagnosed with FMR1 or known as fragile mental retardation protien. My son was diagnosed with Autism in 2015. Many doctors have told me ill never be able to conceive on my own. As due to the FMR1 gene my FSH levels show me post menopausal. When I last had an ultrasound in 2014 my doctor stated my fallopian tubes and ovaries are much smaller for someone of my age. I would very much love to have another child with my husband. I know about Donner eggs and other options however I'm not one with a extremely large Bank account. Is there any chance there is a possibility I can conceive?

Hello Ashley from the U.S. (Iowa),

FSH is a measure of ovarian function.  If the level is such that premature menopause has been diagnosed, then I'm afraid that means that the ovaries are no longer functioning and eggs cannot be retrieved from IVF.  In that case, donor eggs would be the only option.  However, that being said, there have been cases of women with POF spontaneously ovulation and getting pregnant.  In addition, Stanford University researcher have found and been able to block a protein that may be responsible for ovarian shut down or failure, with resultant pregnancies.  They would be able to counsel you on this and a trip for a consultation with them might be worthwhile.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco