Infertility/Fertility/Unprotected Intercourse

Mr. Ramirez,

I have a concern that I was hoping that you could answer. My girl friend stopped her birth control a very long time ago. Also she has not had her period for about five months and certain she is not pregnant.

The reason that this is not an immediate scare for us is because she has always been somewhat irregular. It is not unusual for her to go a month of two and miss her period. Not certain if the birth control made it worse or not, but we are now nearing half of a year with no period.

Anyway, we do have some concerns. She does plan to see the doctor now as soon as possible. However, she and I are trying to get her insurance information situated.

The first is that she has been bugging me for unprotected sex because she is "certain" herself that she cannot become pregnant. This was true in the past because she has had unprotected sex several times before and never gotten pregnant. With these new symptoms she is even more reassured that she cannot become pregnant. If she has not had her period for about five months now could this be true?

Also it is extremely embarrassing for her and even more if I have to tell her, but lately (withing the same time frame of all this) she has had a slight unpleasant smell in her private region.

She herself is extremely shy and may be difficult to get her to doctor. However, that is what I plan to do. In the mean time though I was hoping you could shine a little light on the situation. She is 21 years old and I am contacting you from Charles Town, WV. Let me know if you require any additional information.

I know if may be difficult to give any kind of diagnoses from here. I was just hoping maybe the symptoms go in line with something and could get us started with some answers and possible causes.

Hello Jordan from the u.s. (West Virginia),

Having irregular cycles and never having gotten pregnant in the past is NOT a guarantee that pregnancy will not occur.  A woman can have irregular cycle (usually due to non ovulation) but ovulate periodically and so get pregnant.  Irregular cycles does not serve as a means of contraception.

I am unable to diagnose the source of an "unpleasant smell" within the vagina.  It can be from many sources such as infection, normal physiologic discharge or dysfunctional bleeding.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco