Infertility/Fertility/Ovulation Induction and exercise

Hi Mr Ramirez,

My husband and I are currently having Ovulation Induction (OI) because I have secondary amenorrhea and don't ovulate by myself. We've just been through our third cycle, which (like the other two) resulted in ovulation but no baby!

I go for long brisk walks every day (5 miles), but that's pretty much it: I don't do any other exercise other than those brisk walks. At first, the doctors didn't seem to think that would affect my chances of getting pregnant: they advise against strenuous exercise, but they thought brisk walking every morning would be fine.

Now they're wondering if there's any sort of correlation and I wondered if you had any insights?

Thanks very much!

Your walks are fine!  They are not affecting your chances of getting pregnant.  Keep in mind that OI is just returning your ovarian function to normal.  It takes the average woman under 30 years old, 8-12 months to achieve pregnancy naturally.  With super-ovulation (getting you to ovulate more than 1 egg per month), it takes up to 6 months to achieve pregnancy.  So, 3 cycles may not be enough.  There are 10 steps  your body has to accomplish in order to achieve a pregnancy.  OI is helping the first two steps so the remaining 8 steps have to be accomplished naturally.  The body does not work perfectly every month (unlike rabbits) and that is why it takes longer for humans to get pregnant.  If you are not successful after 6 months of OI, then that indicates that there is probably something else preventing the pregnancy so a full evaluation should be done prior to moving to the next treatment step.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco