Infertility/Fertility/Uterine septum

My wife is 40 years old. While investigating for infertility, a complete uterine septum was found by 4D ultrasound reaching the internal os and showed as a double roomed uterus on hysterosalpingography. She had a septoplasy surgery and hystero after surgery showed arcuate uterus and partial correction of the septum. The 4D ultrasound showed the septum to be 1.4 cm in length and 3.3 cm broad base.
Our fertility specialist advised to proceed now to ICSI but we seeked another opinion and were told that the ideal length of the septum should not be more than 1 cm to avoid miscarriage and preterm labor.

Any advice?

Hello Eric from Egypt,

If this is indeed a septum and not a bicornuate uterus, then the septum should be further reduced.  ICSI is a technique using in conjunction with IVF and mainly for male/sperm issues, not uterine issues.  If the septated uterus were the only reason for infertility, then treatment should resolve that and a spontaneous pregnancy should be possible.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco