Information Technology/Remote control device for Laptops and Desktop computers.

Dear Ralf

1. Can a remote control device be built for Laptops and Desktops ?.
i.e. Is it technically feasible to built a remote control device similar to a Television set remote control ?.

The remote control device will have functions such as power on/off the laptop, desktop devices, restart/reboot, shutdown, reset, accessing  BIOS Setup program, accessing
specific applications/programs etc.

2. Do you feel a remote control device for Laptops, Desktop computers if designed and manufactured can be useful to the consumer market ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,
 1) yes it is - using the services provided by or others I can use my smartphone to remote control my desktop computer from anywhere. The limitations are that the computer must be actually running a standard OS; BIOS setup and anything that runs before the OS can start up require a different service. For BIOS changes many servers have a LOM card (lights out managment) that allows remote access to power up and down the system

2) yes - see [1] for a quick overview what is available

Hope this helps

Information Technology

Ralf Hack

linux, solaris, programing, C, C++, awk, perl, tcl, prolog, shell scripts, HTTP, IRC (client,server), NNTP, SMTP (sendmail,exim), TCP/IP, security, hardening, image processing, project management,

I have a Msc compatible degree for system engineering and am Sun certified system administrator. I also received training for Perl and Project Management. Lastely, I have been programming for the last 15 years.