Insurance Law/MD MVA INS Lapse

Sandeep wrote at 2011-01-28 12:54:58
Belinda, I am exactly in the same boat as you. Any luck with MVA? You can reach me on ssing _ cmu @ yahoo . Com. Maybe we can help each other. I received a collection notice yesterday after 8 years.

V wrote at 2011-05-27 02:58:40
My brother got a similar collection notice for about $5000. He has not lived in Maryland for the last 12 years and is absolutely sure that he did not allow his insurance to lapse during the time he was there. He does not have any records for registration or insurance from 12 years ago.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  

Antonio wrote at 2011-07-22 23:35:11
Denise, we just got the same notice today in the mail.  I moved out of MD in 1999, returned my plates to the DMV and donated the car.  Clearly, that was 12 years ago and I have no records from them (you know, 7 year retention rule of thumb!  So much for that...).  Now they are saying I had a lapse in insurance (which is clearly false) and I owe $5,032.  I found several other people online who are getting these notices from around the same time; see .  I fear this is gross negligence on the part of the MVA in MD, bad record-keeping or just a scam...when you call the number it wants a social security number AND a credit card.  Sounds very very off to me...  I'm hoping the actual MVA will be helpful when I call about this.  I wish you luck on trying to work this out!

Sharat wrote at 2011-08-15 15:35:32

We also got a notice from MVA. It was for my wife's car.

We moved to Massachusetts 3 years back and had insurance coverage right from day one. We even changed the registration plates to MA.

We are planning to call MVA today for more information.

Has anyone contacted MVA on this issue?

Lilly wrote at 2011-08-16 00:11:35
I just had the same letter; however, I live in Virginia.  The DMV sent a letter I never received and come to  find out they suspended my license.  My insurance company provided all necessary ppwk to prove that my insurance never lapsed.  Which I already knew because I always pay my insurance bill.  I did get my license re-instated but not before paying a $145.00 for a re-instatement fee and my insurance never lapsed.  I can't even figure out how DMV was contacted of this if my insurance never lapese.  Another friend of mine received the same letter and he heard there was a class action suit regarding this insurance issue with DMV.  I can't seem to find this information.  

Audrey wrote at 2011-09-15 03:00:59
We got a collection letter too for about $6100 too today. THis is ridiculous amount of money to pay! The car was not even driveable. THis was 6 years ago and we have no records of whatever insurance we had then on the car? HOw can they just come at people like this? It seems like a big scam and we all really need to stick together until this gets resolved...

Mary needs more plates! wrote at 2012-01-31 23:06:41
I just got a similar note.  Two vehicles that I sold 12 years ago.  This feels like a scam to me.

Mitchell wrote at 2012-09-19 22:21:45
You should write a letter to the worked for me.

Debbi wrote at 2013-02-18 08:19:02
We are in the same boat. We moved 14 years ago, going on 15. They started hounding us last year. 14 years had passed, when receiving a messed up letter, completely unable to read. We asked why so long, they said they couldn't find us. Wrong...

we put in a postal moving card plus our license was our ss numbers for years. Everyone but the DMV found us just fine. The first letter you couldn't even read wanting more than $5000.00 then after we called, talked to three different people, getting three different answers. One saying we never sent the plates back, one saying they only received one plate and the other saying we returned the plates but there was a lapse but couldn't explain how or give proof because they 'don't go back that far'... then after telling us we had to be the ones to come up with the proof 14 years later that they would cut it in half? What?? We didn't get satisfaction and we sent the plates back together in a bubble wrapped envelope as soon as we moved. Even called them back then to make sure they received them. They did. No problem until 14 - 15 years later?? We didn't hear anything else from them but just got our taxes back this year on Saturday. They took it out of there without any warning. Almost $2000.00! Now who do we fight about this? We are being punished for moving and there goes my sons college money instantly for something we didn't even do. This world is going crazy! Be careful everyone, get help before they do the same to you too. Any help or suggestions on what we could do would be kindly appreciated.

Insurance Law

I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.

20+ Years