Insurance Law/Contractor trees

Question
At  a site approved for construction my contractor uprooted a tree thinking it was on my property. It was in fact a border tree that needed to be removed to allow construction however had he realized he would sought the neighbors permission. The neighbor is now threatening to sue for a ridiculously high amount. Does my  construction liability or home owners insurance on that property cover me? And will they step up and take over the suit?

Answer
Shelly,

The contractor themselves should have liability insurance that would cover this type of event. The problem may be in what was originally told to him (by you) regarding the tree in the first place. If you thought it was on your property and he was instructed to remove it as part of the construction you are doing, then you may have liability.

If you have a "builder's risk" policy in lace for the new construction, you should go ahead and file a claim ASAP. They would be required to investigate the claim by the neighbor and go from there.

You might want to go ahead and file on your HO policy as well just to put them on notice so they don't get blind-sided if suit is eventually filed. They would be required to defend the suit up to the point that coverage is determined to be excluded.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas