Insurance Law/Contributory Negligence.

Question
I was in a minor auto accident on Friday and I'm trying to igure out where liability will be decided. I was driving home from work on an extremely narrow residential road with vehicles parked both on driveways and on the street. The road is so narrow and packed with vehicles that are parked on the side that only one vehicle is able to move in either direction at a time. Toward the end of the road approaching my turn a vehicle was driving in front of me. This vehicle began to move toward the far right portion of the street. The vehicle was moving anywhere from 2-5 miles an hour ahead of me and breaking on the most far right portion of the road as if to be moving into a position to park. As only one vehicle can move on this road at a time I moved toward the left portion of the lane to pass and slowed my speed. As I moved toward the vehicle the vehicle suddenly turned to the left without signaling their intent and continued forward. I slammed both my breaks and emergency breaks and moved further to the left but was not able to stop the vehicle before my front passenger bumper impacted their rear drivers side door. I understand I was possibly at fault for lack of cleared distance but I also feel it was at least contributory due to the lack of turn signaling which I was pictures directly after the accident to prove. What do you think?

Answer
Daniel,

While the other driver should be ticketed for being a bozo for not using a turn signal, unfortunately that won't happen.

It is likely that the reason he pulled to the far right was in order to make a sharp left turn into a narrow driveway and needed all the room and angle he could get. The percentage of contributory negligence on the part of the other driver would probably be negligible and it is doubtful that it would change any liability on your part. As the driver behind, you have a greater burden to proceed with caution than the one in front.

Sorry ... but I think you're out of luck on this one.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas