Insurance Law/grey water

I live in a rental home. About a week ago the septic backed up after I took a shower. I was unaware of the issue until I returned home and discovered the bathroom floor was flooded and the adjoining bedroom carpet was saturated. We originally thought that it was a water leak maybe in the wall. But there was no more water coming. We sopped up the water with towels and thought it was a fluke. The next day it happened again. We believe the water was coming back up through the shower drain. The septic was pumped and the pad under the carpet was replaced. My question is; does this sound like clean up was adequate? By the way the home is on a slab, no crawl space so all the water was soaked into the carpet or towels. Should we be worried about bacteria or mold? Should I insist on a more thorough cleaning? Is there any laws or regulations regarding grey water in the home? The bathroom is starting to smell musty and stinky. But the landlord denies the smell. Any answers will be much appreciated.

Hi Rhett-
I'm not from Washington State, nor an attorney, so I can't answer whether there are regulations regarding grey water in a rental property.  It does sound like the clean up was mostly adequate, but perhaps there was some of the gray water intrusion in the bathroom subfloor. That might mean pulling up the bathroom flooring, treating the subfloor with bleach and letting it throughly dry, and then replacing the flooring. Hope this helps. :)

Insurance Law

I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.

20+ Years