Insurance Law/Dog hit by car

Question
My dog was hit by a courtesy vehicle from a local auto dealership. The driver was giving me a ride while my vehicle was being serviced.  My dog was in the yard and the driver pulled into my driveway and that's when my dog was hit.  Vet bills are extensive. Does the auto dealership have the responsibility to take care of vet bills. The dogs were in their yard and contained by an invisible fence

Answer
Tony,

As a dog owner myself with 3 "fur kiddos", I can certainly appreciate your situation.

Unfortunately, unless there was a case of clear negligence on the part of the driver of the courtesy vehicle, there is no definitive liability on their part. There was no expectation of the dog being in the driveway (which is intended for vehicle use) and the reality is that you would actually have a case of contributory negligence on your part by allowing the dog into that area of the property that was included within the area inside the invisible fence.

The courtesy van was likely covered with a business auto policy and there is an outside chance that there may be coverage for "damage to property of others" without a determination of liability. This is kind of a "here's $500 for your troubles ... now leave us alone" type of coverage. If you choose to file against that policy, be prepared to answer questions about the possible contributory negligence. Some states say that if you are 51% at fault, then you recover nothing.

Hope this helps and your dog recovers fine.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas