Insurance Law/Faulty evasive action

Question
My daughter was involved in a car accident where car 2 swerved into her lane and to avoid being hit, she hit the curb and in turn hit a light pole.  The woman stated she did not swerve, however, on the accident report, two witness stated she did.  The police report stated contributing factors on car 2 as inappropriate lane change and inattention, on our driver possible contributing factors are faulty evasive action.  After waiting two weeks, the other car's driver denied our claim due to the faulty evasive action.  Our daughter's car is totaled.  Is our only recourse to file suit.  How does faulty evasive action affect outcome in the state of Texas?

Answer
Nikki,

Sorry to hear about your daughter's problem.

The problem is in the wording used by the police officer and his use of the "faulty evasive action" term. If he wasn't at the scene and observed the accident, he is making a legal determination without foundation. I would request a revision of the report to remove that language.

The basic fact of the matter is that if your daughter had not swerved, there would be TWO cars with damage, instead of just one. The proximate cause of the accident was the improper lane-change.

If you have comprehensive insurance on your car, file a claim on that policy and your insurance company will take over the subrogation against the other driver after they pay for your car. They are also required to try to recover your deductible as well.

If you don't have full coverage, your only recourse is to file suit. You may want to consider small claims court if the amount is less than $10,000.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas