Insurance Law/Home insurance approved claim then denied it

Question
With the recent Super Storm Sandy in the NY area I had roof damage to my home.  My insurance company approved the claim and sent me a payment.  About 60 days later I got a letter in the mail saying the claim was denied due to normal wear and tear of the roof.  I have already had my roof repaired.  My question is can they do this legally -- Approve a claim then deny it and also do I have to send them the money back?

Answer
April,

In all likelihood, the letter you received was a mistake simply due to the volume of claims that the carriers are handling in this event. Many of these letters are computer generated when a code is punched in on a particular policy number and it might have just been a situation where a couple of policy numbers were switched.

You do NOT have to return the claim payment, especially in light of the fact that you relied on their initial determination of the loss and had the repairs done.

I would suggest that you send a non-threatening letter explaining that you had moved promptly to repair the damages in order to protect your property from further damage after their adjustment of the loss and that you had relied upon their original decision. Be sure and use the term "relied" in your letter because that is kind of a catch-word. Include the information you received with the original adjustment/claim payment. Also send a copy of their letter along with yours and point out that they may have mistakenly sent it to you. (There may be someone else out there that is still waiting to hear about their claim that it was intended for.)

This will likely end your worries.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas