Insurance Law/Skip insurance

Question
If an insurance company pays a skip claim and then repossesses the vehicle, is the company repossessing on the basis of the security instrument (acting as a secured creditor) or had the company purchased the vehicle by virtue of paying the skip claim, extinguishing the security instrument? Essentially, would the insurance company be subject to UCC provisions when repossessing and selling the vehicle?

Answer
Kevin,

While I have never come across this kind of claim, there are a couple of basic issues involved.

A "skip" claim only applies if the collateral (car), borrower or co-maker cannot be located. I would think that if the company can locate the collateral, they could probably locate the creditor as well so it really would not be classified as a "skip" claim. The carrier "right" to the vehicle is based on the fact that they had "paid" for it under the insuring agreement. A lot will depend on the language of the actual forced place policy held by the bank and the language in the purchase contract signed by the original buyer. Generally, I do not believe the carrier would have a right to "repossess" the vehicle ... that right extends to the lender, who would then file a claim for damages to the collateral.

As to any UCC provisions that would apply, that is more of an area for an attorney who specializes in financial matters or a forensic CPA.  

Let me know if you find out any additional information ... this is an interesting scenario.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com  

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas