Insurance Law/Car door incident in parking lot

Recently I was pulling out of a parking space, when the vehicle next to me opened their door.

Background.  I was in a pick up truck pulling a utility trailer.  I was parked in two spaces (front to back) to accommodate the truck and trailer.  My vehicle was totally inside of the lines for the spaces used.  The vehicle next to me was parked over the front line of two spaces.  His open door extended over the line into the space occupied by my vehicle.

Their door was impacted by the front of my trailer as I pulled out of the space.

Hi Jim-
Very hard to get more than a 50/50 fault decided in a parking lot accident. He should have been more aware of the vehicle next to him, but I don't see either of you as being more at fault, from an insurance company standpoint. Hopefully you were able to take pictures of the parking situation. Sorry I can't be of more help.  I don't see you as being more at fault than the other person.

Insurance Law

I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.

20+ Years