Insurance Law/Accident with rental truck

Unfortunately when I was pulling into my driveway with a rental truck I damaged my neighbors car bumper and fender.  There was no police report filed and the owner of the damaged car was notified immediately.  I did purchase Supplemental Liability insurance and I believe that I would be covered under this.

However my question is in relation to points on my driving record.  If I use the supplemental insurance and make a claim, will the DMV be notified and will I receive a point on my driving record?  

I love in California if this is relevant.

Thank you,

Sorry to hear about the accident. If you are on good terms with your neighbor, you might want to get a quote on the repairs before you even submit the claim. If it is close to the deductible, then don't file a claim as you would not receive much in the way of coverage.

As for the "point" on your driver's license ... that will depend on the state's requirement for reporting by insurance carriers.In all likelihood, if there would have been a report submitted if it was on your regular auto policy, then there will be one reported by the supplemental policy carrier as they will be under the same requirements since this is considered a moving vehicle accident.

If you have concerns about the points that are currently against your driving record, that may be another consideration in even filing the claim.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

(Sorry for delayed response ... have been at a conference in Philly on Superstorm Sandy issues.)

Kevin Hromas
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters