Insurance Law/Release of Lien on Residence

Question
Three months ago I completed paying my mortgage in full in Highlands Ranch, CO.  When I called the Public Trustee Office for a Release of Deed of Trust I was informed that it was sent to Verdugo Trustee Service Co, an affiliate of my former mortgator, CitiMortgage, Inc.  I expected that the original signed copy of the deed to my home would be sent to me and my relationship with CitiMortgage was over.  Why would they get the original of my deed and should I have a concern?

Answer
Dan,

It appears that this company is the one who is handling the re-conveyance of title and removing any liens that were in place. Generally, the banks don't just send you the title as there is a lot of information on it regarding the lien itself that needs to be removed.

I would recommend that you send a certified letter to the office handling your title and request the contact information for the person handling your file, along with a request for the expected timelines for completion of the process. This way you are kept in the loop and have a contact that you can deal with directly. Also makes sure that they have the correct information for you.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas