Insurance Law/Insurance payment for parking lot accident

Was on the way to the hospital for knee surgery. Cut through a parking lot and a young woman pulled out front wise and hit my right fender--her left fender.

Her insurance will only pay 80% of my total damages.  Is this legal, when I am at no fault? My insurance carrier will not fix my car at all because of the amount the other company will pay.

Do I have any recourse in this matter?

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

What the other insurance company has done is assess a percentage of "contributory negligence" to the accident and found that their insured was 80% responsible for the accident and that you were 20% responsible. In some jurisdictions, if you are 1% responsible, you don't recover anything!

While you might be able to prove that the other driver was 100% responsible, that is a pretty high burden and would probably require that you get an attorney involved.

If you have collision coverage on your car, your carrier should be picking up the 20% (less your deductible) that the other carrier is not paying.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters