Insurance Law/First Loss

Question
Hi Kevin,

I have just started a while ago studying Insurance.. and I have a question that seems very tricky for me:
When dealing with First Loss policy, how do I calculate the payed amount of any claim?
lets say the loss equals 100,000
and the first loss amount is 500,000
but in the loss date the actual value of the property was 1,000,000

should I pay the whole amount if it is less than 500,000
or should I consider it an underinsurance and I apply the average condition?

Thanks in advance,
S :)

Answer
Sara,

Best of luck in your studies.

I have to admit that I am somewhat confused by your question. ???

It sounds like you are talking about the "co-insurance clause" and the principle of "insured to value". Is that correct?

If that is the case, the clause only applies if the property is UNDERINSURED. If it is over-insured, it only becomes an issue if there is a total loss by any peril other that fire generally. (Many policies have a provision that a total loss by fire will be considered a liquidated demand for policy limits.)

Let me know if it is the co-insurance issue that you are working on and I will send you some good information on that.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WIND Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas