Insurance Law/roof exclusion

I have mobile home insurance through Cathar Insurance, Baytown, Texas. My home is year 2000 with original metal roof in good condition...not even any rust spots. I was recently inquiring online regarding roof replacement only due to insulation issues. Now, I suddenly receive letter from insurance company for my policy renewal with an "roof exclusion"endorsement for me to sign and return. States that it will be removed if I show evidence of roof replacement. One cannot know the condition of my roof from viewing from the yard or street (if that is what they did). Can they require that I pay for a roof inspection to have the coverage continued and prove good condition or can I require that THEY pay for an inspection to provide proof of condition? Am I legally required to sign the exclusion?...Can they cancel my policy if I do not sign ?

Unless you have a guaranteed renewal policy, the carrier can require additional endorsements upon renewal which reflect current market conditions. Because the original roof is 13 years old and went through both Hurricanes Rita and Ike, it is likely that it may not be in as good a condition as you would hope.

These "roof exclusion endorsements" are becoming more and more common as that is a high-dollar and frequent area of contention in many claims. A roof that is 14 years old is much more susceptible to failing in the slightest of conditions.

Your alternative might be to simply get quotes from other carriers and telling the original one to go jump.

As for being legally required to sign the endorsement? - NO.
Can they cancel the policy if you don't? - probably so.

Best of luck in getting this resolved.

Kevin Hromas
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters